Thursday, September 25, 2008

TRACK BALL QUESTIONS for ATT device

The Track Ball is an ATT device for students with challenges using the smaller version "the mouse".
The track ball is several times bigger and is very "user friendly" to students with physical challenges , learning
disabilites, or fine-motor skills challenges.

Some Questions:

Who uses the Track Ball ???

The track ball can be used for anyone. I used it and I found it pretty fun. Moreover, it was very useful for my kids in with special needs. I have students with MR and usually there ability for hand and eye coordination is difficult. The track ball enables them to stop and go..the learge bottons help them keep their place as they manuever the cursor on the screen. My nephew and neices enjoyed it when I brought it home..They preferred the track ball over the regular mouse.


What platforms can it be intergraded in ???

All platforms cam be used....The old Macs however need to use the older version of the trackball, due to the cable attachement configuration.

Pro's and cons using the Track Ball ???

There are more benefits with the track ball. Just the first look at it and it shouts "FUN" use me. However when it comes to game use such as "Tumble Bug" speed is not its' strength. But for everything else it is useful.

Did you test it in the classroom ???

Yes. It was very very successful. My student MC enjoyed it the most. He loved to use it on the "Paint" program. Another student who has fine-motor skills challenges was able to maneuver the cursor on the screen with ease. Her attitude in using computers has changed for the better. I am glad I picked it.


Pat Q

3 comments:

Welcome to Lois' HafaBlog said...

Hi Patrick,
Enjoyed your presentation on the track ball in class. You did great in presenting. However, I did not have the chance to explore it like I had hope to in class. I know some of your high schools students were able to use it. Have you tried using it with the younger children ages three or four years old? Do you know of any vendors that can help in ordering this device? I forgot what you mentioned about the price. Thank you, Lois.

Welcome to Lois' HafaBlog said...

Hi Patrick,
It's me again. On my question on the vendors, I meant vendors on Guam.
Thanks again. Lois

Jacqui Cyrus said...

Hi Patrick:
I wonder, you can get large or giant-sized track balls from regular computer vendors? You might try eComelectronics [http://www.ecomelectronics.com/] or J and R [http://www.jr.com/] and let us know what you find.

A regular vendor might be a more efficient way to purchase such devices.

-j-