Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Content Presentation #2

Hi Everyone,
Here's the Content Presentation #2 that was presented last night' class. I hope you learned and enjoyed the topic presented. Copy and paste the URL for viewing.

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/lgrigley-176843-orthopedic-impairment-presentation1-entertainment-ppt-powerpoint/

Here’s my question:
If you are new incoming teacher and you have a student with an Orthopedic Impairment with McCune-Albright Syndrome. (How would you welcome this student into your classroom with the other students?)

There was a question Dr. Cyrus asked about the McCune- Albright Syndrome. I had searched it and accounted. Please check it out and provide me with your opinion and/or suggestion.

Definition of McCune-Albright syndrome

McCune-Albright syndrome: A genetic disorder of bones, skin pigmentation and hormonal problems with premature sexual development. Also called Albright syndrome or polyostotic fibrous dysplasia. In the syndrome, there is bone disease with fractures and deformity of the legs, arms and skull; pigment patches of the skin; and endocrine (hormonal) disease with early puberty (early menstrual bleeding, development of breasts and pubic hair) and an increased rate of growth. The McCune-Albright syndrome is usually caused by mosaicism for a mutation in a gene called GNAS1 (Guanine Nucleotide binding protein, Alpha Stimulating activity polypeptide 1).

The syndrome shows a broad spectrum of severity. Sometimes, children are diagnosed in early infancy with obvious bone disease and markedly increased endocrine secretions from several glands. At the opposite end of the spectrum, many children are entirely healthy, and have little or no outward evidence of bone or endocrine involvement. They may enter puberty close to the normal age, and have no unusual skin pigment at all.

Check out the URL I have pasted here to see the actual image of how this disease affect an individual.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Mccune-albrightsyndrome1.jpg

5 comments:

Alonso said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alonso said...

Lydia, I hope that the email I have posted in our class blog helps all of us to answer Dr. Cyrus' question. It is an advice given from a mother of a child with McCune-Albright Syndrome. Thank you for the extensive research.

Matsue said...

Lydia, this is not a simple question to answer. But anyway, I will try. As a new teacher with a student with an Orthopedic Impairment with McCune-Albright Syndrome, I will definitely review his/her file for goals and objectives and other matters. In this case, making myself familiar with his file will help make my teaching effective to meet his/her needs socially and academically. I hope I answered your question correctly. Thanks for sharing.

lgrigley said...

Matsue thank you for your answer, your idea is a good way to begin with. In addition, connect with previous teachers, parents and relatives, also Para-educators will give you handful of information which will definitely help you to begin with your lessons preparation.

Matsue said...

.
You are right! All the mentioned individual will offer a great deal of help for me and my student. I am not used to getting help from these individuals because of past experiences. So I guess that slipped off my mind.. I am learning a lot from everything.. thanks again.